Make A Difference Fund
The Make a Difference Fund was established in 2003 by leadership of the Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan to meet emerging needs in the areas we serve. This fund has supported children and families in distressed communities achieve success through grants to nonprofits providing valuable educational, recreational and wellness opportunities.
In 2020, this fund will pivot its focus area to support organizations that are providing services to address emerging social and emotional needs of residents in Orange and Sullivan counties to include but not exclusively in the areas of mental health and opioid/substance use disorders.
Two grants of $5,000 will be distributed this year, one to a nonprofit organization in Orange County and the second to a nonprofit organization in Sullivan County.
Please note that at this time, this fund will NOT be addressing direct needs related to COVID-19. We have established the Orange & Sullivan COVID-19 Response Fund for this purpose and grant applications are still open. Programs addressing secondary issues caused by the COVID-19 crisis including mental health, domestic violence, substance use disorder, etc. will be considered.
All tax exempt 501(c)3 organizations located in Orange and Sullivan County are eligible to apply
Please note that grants are not given to support:
- Endowment Funds
- Organizations that received a Make A Difference grant within one (1) year.
- Projects that influence specific legislation or election campaigns.
- Academic or medical research.
- Private education and religious organizations except for programs that serve broad community needs.
- Retroactive funding for projects that have been completed or will be completed prior to the grant award date.
- Fundraising events, the purchase of tickets for benefits, courtesy advertising.
- Replacement of governmental or other public funding except for grants bridging periods before anticipated funding.
- Higher education scholarships
- Employee compensation
Make A Difference Fund Past Recipients
Catholic Charities of Orange, Sullivan and Ulster
Hudson Valley Council Boy Scouts of America
NAMI Orange County, NY
Nora Cronin Presentation Academy
PRASAD Children’s Dental Health Program
Town of Wallkill Boys & Girls Club
Newburgh Armory Unity Center, Inc.
Hudson Valley Seed, Inc.
Time and the Valleys Museum
Sullivan County Head Start, Inc.
Grace Episcopal Church
HONOR ehg, Inc.
Catskill Regional Medical Center
Interfaith Outreach United
Sullivan County Head Start
North American Cultural Laboratory, Inc.
San Miguel Academy of Newburgh
Safe Harbors of the Hudson
Boys and Girls Club of Newburgh, Inc.
Safe Homes of Orange County, Inc.
Nana’s House Child Care Center
Girl Scouts Heart of the Hudson, Inc.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Orange County, Inc. – Site Based Mentoring Program
United Way of Sullivan County, Inc. – Snack Pack Program
Safe Homes of Orange County – Family Justice Center Waiting Room
Town of Wallkill Boys and Girls Club – TORCH Program
Dispute Resolution Center – Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) volunteers
Town of Wallkill Boys and Girls Club – InfluenceHer Program
- The Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan Awards $10,000 in Make a Difference grants to two local organizations
- Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan Ranks Among Fastest Growing in the Nation
- Metric Century Bike Ride Raises $23,000 to Fight Children’s Hunger
- Grant Applications are Being Accepted by the Lazare and Charlotte Kaplan Foundation
- 11th Annual DaHunt for the Cure Event Raises $80,000 for Hudson Valley Charities