The Community Foundation provides simple, powerful, and highly personal approach to giving. We offer a variety of giving tools to help people achieve their charitable goals. You can make a gift of cash, stocks, bonds, real estate, or other assets to your community foundation. Most charitable gifts qualify for maximum tax advantage under federal law.
Each donor has a unique giving experience, tailored to suit his or her situation and goals.
Here are the basics—how you can create a fund at the Community Foundation. For more information, contact Karen VanHouten Minogue at email@example.com or Elizabeth Rowley at Elizabeth@cfosny.org .
- You make a gift to your community foundation. You can give cash, appreciated stocks, real estate, or other assets.
- We set up a special fund in your name, in the name of your family or business, or in honor of any person or organization you choose.
- You receive tax benefits in the year your gift is made.
- Based on the type of fund you establish, you may be able to stay involved in the good works your gift makes possible. You can recommend an area or organization you’d like your gift to support, or rely on the community foundation’s experienced program staff to determine and address the areas of greatest need in our community.
- Our board issues grants in the name of the fund you establish (if you prefer, grants can be made anonymously).
- We handle the administrative details.
- Your gift can be placed into an endowment that is invested over time. Earnings from your fund are used to make grants addressing community needs. Your gift—and all future earnings from your gift—is a permanent source of community capital, helping do good work forever.
Learn more about charitable funds—great giving options.
Learn more about charitable instruments—how you can give.
Learn more about charitable assets—what you can give.
There is so much more we’d like you to know. For more information and ideas on ways to integrate your financial planning with charitable giving, ask your financial advisor or contact the Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan at firstname.lastname@example.org. We pattern a plan working with you and your chosen legal and financial advisors to maximize the effect of your charitable goals.
Sound Financial Management
Led by a group of local volunteers who are financial experts, the Community Foundation wisely manages an investment program that provides prudent stewardship of the funds you contribute. We provide quarterly fund statements to keep you up to date on the fund’s financials.
It is our responsibility to stay current with the latest IRS requirements related to charitable giving and grant making and to advise you on any changes that may affect your fund. For example the Pension Protection Act of 2006 (H.R. 4) introduced new requirements for grants from Scholarship and Donor Advised Funds.
It is our business to understand and evaluate the ever changing needs of our communities and to share that information with donors. We keep you up to date via our newsletter and we make personalized efforts to keep you informed about grantmaking opportunities.
Ease of Giving
We make it easy to establish or add to a fund, and we offer planned giving choices.
We are here to help you accomplish your charitable goals, so please contact us any time. Thank you very much for your continued generosity.
- 2018 Make A Difference Grant Applications Now Available
- Hudson Valley Animal Shelter Grant Applications are Now Available!
- Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan’s Make A Difference Fund Announces Sullivan County Grant Recipients for 2017
- Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan’s Make A Difference Fund Announces Orange County Grant Recipients for 2017
- Community Foundation Celebrates Successful Annual Reception Honoring Local Couples
- Grants Available for Organizations Serving Youth in Town of Rockland
- Anthony & Nancy Kane and Tom & Janet Sullivan to be Honored by Community Foundation Awards to be Bestowed During November 15 Annual Reception
- Memorial Fund for Late Minisink Valley Counselor Established Within Community Foundation
- Ambitious Student Becomes Community Foundation’s Youngest Fund Representative to Date
- Community Foundation Awards Over $400,000 in Scholarships to Students in Orange and Sullivan Counties