Community Foundation Awards Board Member William J. Bratton, Jr. with Karen Minogue Award
Over 100 people gathered at West Hills Country Club on February 15 for the Community Foundation’s Annual Volunteer Appreciation Event to celebrate William “Bill” J. Bratton, Jr. and honor him with the 2017 Karen Minogue Award for Distinguished Service. In its second year, this award is given to those who go above and beyond in giving back, not just to their community, but to the Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan (CFOS). Bill’s many contributions greatly surpass the typical norm of giving back, and he is an example for many.
Bill joined the Community Foundation family as a fund representative in 2002 when he and his wife, Mary, established the Michelle Renee Bratton Memorial Scholarship Fund in memory of their late daughter who perished in the tragic event of 9/11. This scholarship is awarded to a graduating student from Pine Bush High School, with preference given to a candidate who will attend a four-year SUNY college or university, is a member of the National Honor Society and a member of the women’s swimming and diving team and/or a member of chorus. The scholarship fund has awarded over $37,000 to students since its inception.
“Bill’s commitment to community service and the Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan Counties is an example for others to follow,” said Community Foundation Chairman Josh Sommers. “Whether he quietly supports needy families during the holidays or gives worthy Pine Bush High School students scholarship opportunities through our Michelle Renee Bratton Memorial Scholarship Fund, he understands the importance of giving back and helping others.”
In 2003, Bill joined the Community Foundation Board of Directors and continues to serve as an active director. He has been a vital member of the board, serving as Vice President of Finance as well as Vice President of Distribution. Bill and Mary are both loyal supporters of the CFOS President’s Circle and Annual Reception, boasting a level of sponsorship as well as journal advertiser and attendee.
Bill is an invaluable asset to the Community Foundation and has been a loyal ambassador for our cause of connecting people who care with causes that matter. He has referred dozens of people to the Foundation, been featured in marketing videos, written collateral and has always willing to speak on the Foundation’s behalf. A more selfless and exceptional recipient cannot been found. The Community Foundation thanks Bill for his years of extraordinary service.
To make a donation to the Michelle Renee Bratton Memorial Scholarship Fund, click here.
- Community Grants Available in Town of Rockland
- Community Foundation Concludes Record Year Welcomes New Board Chairman – Thanks Outgoing Chairman
- Donations Sought to Install Clock in the Hamlet of Wallkill
- Christopher Page Memorial Scholarship Established Within the Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan
- 2018 Make A Difference Grant Applications Now Available
- Hudson Valley Animal Shelter Grant Applications are Now Available!
- Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan’s Make A Difference Fund Announces Sullivan County Grant Recipients for 2017
- Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan’s Make A Difference Fund Announces Orange County Grant Recipients for 2017
- Community Foundation Celebrates Successful Annual Reception Honoring Local Couples
- Grants Available for Organizations Serving Youth in Town of Rockland