Building for the Future: Creating a Non-Profit Endowment Fund
The Community Foundation is an ideal vehicle for building an endowment to help any non-profit organization better meet current challenges and provide long-term stability for the future of the organization. The Community Foundation provides investment oversight of the funds and many other services.
What is an agency endowment?
An agency endowment, which grows through gifts from generous donors and investment income, is a permanent pool of charitable dollars whose earnings benefit a specific organization. Only a portion of the earnings are spent for purposes determined by the nonprofit’s board, or in some cases, the wishes of the donor.
Who should create an endowment?
Organizations with an outstanding track record of service to the community, strong leadership and management, financial stability and accountability, a committed and diverse pool of donors, board and staff commitment to the effort, and the capacity to engage in this long-term fundraising strategy are the best candidates for endowment development.
Why does your organization need an endowment?
An endowment demonstrates that your organization has made a long-term commitment to your mission. It provides an additional source of annual income. Endowment earnings can be used each year to help fund operations, programs, and unanticipated needs.
Who can establish an agency endowment with the Foundation?
An agency endowment can be established by a non-profit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization or by a donor of that organization.
How do you set up an endowment?
Your board can readily establish an endowment with the Community Foundation by completing an agency fund agreement and making an initial contribution of at least $5,000.
How can you build your endowment?
- Select a committee to plan the effort, fundraise, and meet with potential donors.
- Create an endowment building plan which includes responsibilities of staff and board, strategy for building the endowment, an investment policy, a spending policy, a gift acceptance policy, a marketing plan and a donor recognition plan.
- Seek donations of cash, appreciated securities or planned and deferred gifts.
- Encourage donors to include your organization in their wills.
- Become educated about endowment building and planned giving. Staff and Board must be able to explain the difference between annual fund, capital fund and an endowment.
- Contact us. We can help simplify the endowment building process.
This is a closed event for CFOS Staff and Board Members ONLY. The 2017 Scholarship Reception will immediately follow this meeting at 5:00PM.
This event is by invite ONLY. For more information please contact the Event Organizer listed.
Red Sox vs Yankees
August 12, 2017, Saturday 4:05 PM
Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York
11:30 am Depart Liberty Darbee Lane Parking Lot
Pickups in Monticello, Rock Hill, Wurtsboro, Circleville & Monroe
2:00 pm Arrive at Yankee Stadium
4:05 pm PLAY BALL – Red Sox vs Yankees
*7:30 pm Depart Yankee Stadium
10:30 pm Return to Liberty
*Itinerary subject to change depending on when game ends and traffic volume
All packages include: R/T Motor Coach, ticket to game, CD Trips
snack pack, CD Trips onboard guide, feature movie, games &
giveaways, bus driver gratuity and lots of fun. Optional Last Licks
Boxed Lunch (Add $12).
This is a closed event for CFOS Staff and Finance Committee Members ONLY.
This is a closed event for CFOS Staff and Executive Committee Members ONLY.
- Safe Harbors of the Hudson Establishes Endowment Fund Within the Community Foundation
- Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan Announce Hudson Valley Animal Shelter Fund Grant Recipients
- Financial Assistance Available for Teens in Need
- Over a Hundred Local Nonprofits Registered for “Hudson Valley Gives” Second Annual Regional Day of Online Giving Scheduled for May 17
- Ambitious Students Become Community Foundation’s Youngest Fund Representatives to Date
- Community Foundation Awards Board Member William J. Bratton, Jr. with Karen Minogue Award
- Zylofone Performing Arts Center for Special Needs Establishes Agency Endowment Fund
- Hudson Valley Animal Shelter Fund Announces Available Grants
- Fiscal Sponsorship Awarded to Goshen Art League
- Famed Local Blues Musician to be Remembered, New Fund Established at CFOS to Award Grants & Scholarships in Memory of Bill Perry