Al Romm Interdisciplinary Journalism Scholarship Fund
This scholarship was established in memory of Mr. Avrom N. “Al” Romm, an uncompromising journalist who was the first editor of the Times Herald-Record and later Vice President of News for Ottaway Newspapers, Inc., the Times Herald-Record’s parent company.
In order to be considered for this scholarship, the student must:
- Be a graduating senior from any high school in Orange County
- Pursue a career in journalism
- Graduate high school with a 3.5 Grade Point Average
- Achieve a “B” or better average in higher level math classes
- Speak one other language, besides English, fluently
- Enroll at an accredited university that offers a journalism degree
- Have been involved with the high school newspaper or yearbook, or have a published journalistic byline/article in a printed publication
- Make every attempt to attend the Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan’s Annual Scholarship Reception in June to meet a member of the Romm family, in whose name this scholarship was established
- Enroll in interdisciplinary college classes to obtain basic knowledge of history, statistics and political science.
SAVE THE DATE
Join us as we honor our World War II and Korean War Veterans for their courageous sacrifices on behalf of our country.
Featuring Guest Speaker:
Sergeant Rocky Sickmann of the US Marines
United States Marine Corps Sergeant and P.O.W., Iranian Hostage Crisis
$55 per person
$35 for Active Duty Military and Veterans
FREE for WWII Veterans & Korean War Veteran Alumni
(Prices at the door will be an additional $10.)
For Sponsorship and Journal Ad opportunities, click here.
To make a donation to the Hudson Valley Honor Flight Endowment Fund, click here.
This is a closed event for CFOS Staff and Finance Committee Members ONLY.
This event is closed for CFOS Staff and Executive Committee Members ONLY.
- Community Foundation Celebrates Successful Annual Reception Honoring Local Couples
- Grants Available for Organizations Serving Youth in Town of Rockland
- Anthony & Nancy Kane and Tom & Janet Sullivan to be Honored by Community Foundation Awards to be Bestowed During November 15 Annual Reception
- Memorial Fund for Late Minisink Valley Counselor Established Within Community Foundation
- Ambitious Student Becomes Community Foundation’s Youngest Fund Representative to Date
- Community Foundation Awards Over $400,000 in Scholarships to Students in Orange and Sullivan Counties
- Safe Harbors of the Hudson Establishes Endowment Fund Within the Community Foundation
- Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan Announce Hudson Valley Animal Shelter Fund Grant Recipients
- Financial Assistance Available for Teens in Need
- Over a Hundred Local Nonprofits Registered for “Hudson Valley Gives” Second Annual Regional Day of Online Giving Scheduled for May 17