Al Romm Interdisciplinary Journalism Scholarship Fund
This scholarship was established in memory of Mr. Avrom N. “Al” Romm, an uncompromising journalist who was the first editor of the Times Herald-Record and later Vice President of News for Ottaway Newspapers, Inc., the Times Herald-Record’s parent company.
In order to be considered for this scholarship, the student must:
- Be a graduating senior from any high school in Orange County
- Pursue a career in journalism
- Graduate high school with a 3.5 Grade Point Average
- Achieve a “B” or better average in higher level math classes
- Speak one other language, besides English, fluently
- Enroll at an accredited university that offers a journalism degree
- Have been involved with the high school newspaper or yearbook, or have a published journalistic byline/article in a printed publication
- Make every attempt to attend the Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan’s Annual Scholarship Reception in June to meet a member of the Romm family, in whose name this scholarship was established
- Enroll in interdisciplinary college classes to obtain basic knowledge of history, statistics and political science.
- 2018 Make A Difference Grant Applications Now Available
- Hudson Valley Animal Shelter Grant Applications are Now Available!
- Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan’s Make A Difference Fund Announces Sullivan County Grant Recipients for 2017
- Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan’s Make A Difference Fund Announces Orange County Grant Recipients for 2017
- Community Foundation Celebrates Successful Annual Reception Honoring Local Couples
- Grants Available for Organizations Serving Youth in Town of Rockland
- Anthony & Nancy Kane and Tom & Janet Sullivan to be Honored by Community Foundation Awards to be Bestowed During November 15 Annual Reception
- Memorial Fund for Late Minisink Valley Counselor Established Within Community Foundation
- Ambitious Student Becomes Community Foundation’s Youngest Fund Representative to Date
- Community Foundation Awards Over $400,000 in Scholarships to Students in Orange and Sullivan Counties