Al Romm Interdisciplinary Journalism Scholarship Fund
This scholarship was established in memory of Mr. Avrom N. “Al” Romm, an uncompromising journalist who was the first editor of the Times Herald-Record and later Vice President of News for Ottaway Newspapers, Inc., the Times Herald-Record’s parent company.
In order to be considered for this scholarship, the student must:
- Be a graduating senior from any high school in Orange County
- Pursue a career in journalism
- Graduate high school with a 3.5 Grade Point Average
- Achieve a “B” or better average in higher level math classes
- Speak one other language, besides English, fluently
- Enroll at an accredited university that offers a journalism degree
- Have been involved with the high school newspaper or yearbook, or have a published journalistic byline/article in a printed publication
- Make every attempt to attend the Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan’s Annual Scholarship Reception in June to meet a member of the Romm family, in whose name this scholarship was established
- Enroll in interdisciplinary college classes to obtain basic knowledge of history, statistics and political science.
Join us as we ring in the Fall Season with this year’s Illuminate Goshen Fall Ball!
We are currently accepting sponsorships to this event. We ask that you consider participating in whatever level you feel possible. To view the sponsorship levels and what each level entails and to purchase a sponsorship, click here. Checks can be mailed to CFOS/Illuminate Goshen PO Box 919, Goshen, NY 10924.
Speakers: Marc Selden, J.D., LL.M., national recognized lecturer, Member: Cozen O’Connor, New York City, and Richard J. Shapiro, J.D., CELA.
This 2-credit charitable giving seminar, presented by the Community Foundation’s Professional Advisors Council, will teach you everything you need to know about asset protection planning and how you can help your clients preserve and protect their assets.
Registration & Networking: 4:30 – 5:30 PM
Buffet Dinner & Seminar: 5:30 – 7:30 PM
Credits: Attorneys – 2 CLE credits*; CPAs – 2 CPE credits*
RSVP by October 19
Limited seating. Reserve now.
*Credits are pending. This program is transitional and appropriate for experienced and newly admitted attorneys. The Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York has been certified by the New York State Continuing Education Board as an accredited provider of continuing legal education in the State of New York. Full and partial scholarships based on need are available. All requests are confidential.
Pillars of the Community Awards Gala
Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 6PM
at Anthony’s Pier 9
Lifetime Achievement Honoree
Raena Endick Korenman
Newburgh Enlarged City School District – Retired
Women’s Health Champion
Distinguished Service Honorees
David M. Hoovler, Esq.
Orange County District Attorney
Orange Regional Medical Center
Improving the Health of our Community
- Golf Outing Planned to Benefit Veterans with PTSD
- Forever Foundation Established within Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan
- Pets Alive Establishes Endowment Fund within Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan
- 20th Annual Willie Carter/Tuskegee Airmen Memorial Golf Classic & Helicopter Ball Drop Will Support Scholarships & Endowment
- Community Grants Available in Town of Rockland
- Community Foundation Concludes Record Year Welcomes New Board Chairman – Thanks Outgoing Chairman
- Donations Sought to Install Clock in the Hamlet of Wallkill
- Christopher Page Memorial Scholarship Established Within the Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan
- 2018 Make A Difference Grant Applications Now Available
- Hudson Valley Animal Shelter Grant Applications are Now Available!