This scholarship was established in memory of Mr. Avrom N. “Al” Romm, an uncompromising journalist who was the first editor of the Times Herald-Record and later Vice President of News for Ottaway Newspapers, Inc., the Times Herald-Record’s parent company.
In order to be considered for this scholarship, the student must:
- Be a graduating senior from any high school in Orange County
- Pursue a career in journalism
- Graduate high school with a 3.5 Grade Point Average
- Achieve a “B” or better average in higher level math classes
- Speak one other language, besides English, fluently
- Enroll at an accredited university that offers a journalism degree
- Have been involved with the high school newspaper or yearbook, or have a published journalistic byline/article in a printed publication
- Make every attempt to attend the Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan’s Annual Scholarship Reception in June to meet a member of the Romm family, in whose name this scholarship was established
- Enroll in interdisciplinary college classes to obtain basic knowledge of history, statistics and political science.
For more information about Mr. Romm and his family, visit: www.romm.org.
Click here to apply today!